Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Project 1 - Mounted Final Comps







My asymmetrical design is unified by its primary focal point, the large, dark, upside down, backward, letter “G” (for Green Living). I have used the letter “G” to replace the letter “D” that begins the terms related to sustainability, deforestation, decarboniztion, etc. The lighter shading of the center of the letter “D” and the use of white for the word “Deforestation” draws your eye to the focal point. Scale is also used to draw attention to the focal point and helps to convey the importance of sustainability. The outside curve of the letter “D” draws your eye around in a clockwise direction to read the terms; this creates the sense of hierarchy. Repetition is used in the font type and size that I have chosen. Variety is achieved through the use of different values of the gray scale for the remaining typography in my design. I believe this design employs the rule of thirds. The curved outer edge of the letter “D” is centered over the left vertical line of the grid of the rule.

My symmetrical design utilizes the element of hierarchy by varying the font size. Unity is achieved through the use of the white letters on the black background that creates the upside down coniferous tree. Repetition is also an important principle in this design. The phrase “Population plus Affluence plus Technology equals Environmental Impact” is repeated over the entire background. Scale is also used here to create the progressively smaller lines of the upside down tree. While symmetrical designs by nature have a sense of stability and balance, I believe that the wave of the black shapes in my design also creates a sense of rhythm and flow. This design uses the rule of thirds in the placement of the terms of sustainability.

Sustainability has many definitions, but can be defined simply as “maintaining or preserving what we have today for future generations to enjoy as we do”. Through the use of the upside down letter “G” in my asymmetrical design and the upside down coniferous tree in my symmetrical design (symbols of green living) my designs communicate that we have not been living in a way that maintains and preserves our natural resources. Our affluent population has depleted and in many cases destroyed much of our natural resources. The environmental impact of our population is severe and perhaps irreversible.

I have participated in class by helping other students with Photoshop, volunteering to talk about design principles and elements and answer other questions posed by the professor. I have offered my thoughts during critiques. I attend class regularly, and keep up to date on the assigned readings and homework.

No comments: